How to Live in a Mars Hill World - Part Two
How to Live in a Mars Hill World
Paul was provoked in his human spirit – Acts 17:16
Paul was willing to engage the culture- Acts 17:17
Paul assessed his audience and found a culture in conflict – Acts 17:18-21
“We must develop a whole generation of Christians who are ticked off enough, upset enough at the culture, but be willing to engage a self-conflicted culture in order to proclaim the truth of the Gospel despite the responses we might receive.” - Os Guinness – Impossible People
The Self- Conflicted Culture of Today
Paul proclaims the truth based on finding common ground – Acts 17:22 – 31
- God is the Almighty Creator – Acts 17:24a
- God is the Universal Lord – Acts 17:24b
- God is the Bountiful Giver – Acts 17:25
- God is the Sovereign Sustainer – Acts 17:26
- God is the Divine Designer – Acts 17:27-28
- God is the Eternal Father – Acts 17:29
- God is the Gracious Redeemer – Acts 17:30
- God is the Righteous Judge – Acts 17:31
Application: The Gospel is the most viable truth in the common ground of the world’s religious ideas
Paul received a range of responses – Acts 17:32 - 34
- Some folks will sneer – Acts 17:32a
- Some folks will be curious – Acts 17: 32b
- Some will believe – Acts 17:33 – 34
Application: Some sow the seeds of the Gospel, some water the seeds of the Gospel and some harvest souls for God’s Kingdom, but God is the One who chooses whom He will.
Key Thought: You and I must be willing to proclaim the truth of the Gospel despite the responses we might receive.
Three Questions to Ponder This Week
1. Do you see the greatest romantic story of the universe wrapped up in the Gospel of God seeking mankind?
2. Do you see the futility of those who believe something other than the Gospel of Jesus Christ?
3. Do you care enough to share the truth with others even if you face opposition?