I Will Avoid The Traps of Churchianity
I Will Avoid the Traps of Churchianity
Definition of Churchianity – Practicing our church and religious beliefs according to human standards rather than biblical guidelines – Thom Rainer in his book “I Will”
Purpose: Every believer must see the church as a place to serve, to sacrifice and to share the community we enjoy with those outside the church.
Signs of an Inward-Looking Church
- The church is a spectator sport
- The church is about me
- The church is about dwelling on its flaws
- The church is cliquish among its members
- The church is reluctant to try new things.
Signs of an Irrelevant Church
- The church speaks too much Christian “eze”
- The church does not think like a guest
- The church has as its dominant view of culture as negative
- The church views the past as the hero
- The church is disconnected from the community
The Application: Overcoming Churchianity
- Stick with the vision – Connect – Grow – Serve
- Stay intentionally missional
- See beyond the walls of the church
- Super faith
Key Thought: Live like no one else so that you can give like no one else?
Questions to Ponder this Week
- What commitments can I make to not practice churchianity?
- What frightens me most about change at our church and in my life?
- What can I do personally to connect with our community?
“If you want to help people we have to dive into people wade into the sea of humanity.” ― Hugh Halter & Matt Smay
“If we're going to impact our world in the name of Jesus, it will be because people like you and me took action in the power of the Spirit. Ever since the mission and ministry of Jesus, God has never stopped calling for a movement of "Little Jesuses" to follow him into the world and unleash the remarkable redemptive genius that lies in the very message we carry. Given the situation of the Church in the West, much will now depend on whether we are willing to break out of a stifling herd instinct and find God again in the context of the advancing kingdom of God.”
― Alan Hirsch, The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
“God makes his gospel attractive through people…that is the point of the gospel; it is trans-formative in nature.” ― Gary Rohrmayer – Executive Minister for Converge