Nehemiah's Response to Personal Attacks - Nehemiah 6:1-14
Nehemiah’s Response to Personal Attacks
Attack # 1 – Distraction by Opportunities – Nehemiah 6:1-4
- The Threat – Stop the progress on the wall
- The Response – I am doing a great work
Application: One must have healthy boundaries to avoid the pitfalls of distraction
Attack # 2 – Distraction by Slander – Nehemiah 6:5- 9
- The Threat: Spread rumors of rebellion
- The Response – You are inventing them out of your own mind
Application: One must not be threatened by what man can do to you.
Attack # 3 – Distraction by Discrediting his character – Nehemiah 6:10 – 14
- The Threat – Scar his reputation
- The Response – Should such a man as I run away?
Application: One must always protect your character and integrity because they take a lifetime to establish but a moment to lose.
Key Thought: Truth and character win in the long run if we stay faithful to maintain your integrity.
How to Respond to Personal Attacks
- Listen to the issue
- Pray and process what is being said
- Repeat the issue back to the person for clarification
- Respond calmly – Proverbs 15:1
- Ask the other person’s opinion on how to resolve the issue
- Share your thoughts on how to resolve the issue
- Come to a negotiated way to resolve the issue
- Pray together if possible, about resolving the issue
Questions to Ponder this Week
- Identify what you are easily distracted by and ask yourself how you can avoid these distractions
- How can I this week let God answer my critics?
- How can I respond to those who attack my character in a God pleasing way?