What We Believe
Our Statement of Faith -What We Believe
1. The Word of God - We believe that the Bible is the Word of God, fully inspired and without error in the original manuscripts, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and that it has supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct. Psalm 119:97-105; II Timothy 3:16-17; II Peter 1:20-21
2. The Trinity - We believe that there is one living and true God, eternally existing in three persons; God the Father, God the Son, Jesus Christ, and God the Holy Spirit and that these are equal in every divine perfection and that they execute distinct but harmonious offices in the work of creation, providence and redemption. Genesis 1:26; Matthew 28:19; I Peter 1:2
3. God the Father - We believe in God the Father, an infinite, personal Spirit, perfect in holiness, wisdom, power and love. We believe that He concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of each person, that He hears and answers prayer, that He saves from sin and eternal death all who come to Him through Jesus Christ. Isaiah 9:6; Matthew 6:9-15; Matthew 11:27; John 3:16
4. God the Son - We believe in Jesus Christ, God's only begotten Son, conceived by the Holy Spirit. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles and teachings. We believe in His substitutionary atoning death, bodily resurrection, and ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people, and personal visible return to earth. Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:18-25; John 1:1-14, 17:11; Romans 9:5b; Colossians 1:15-23; Hebrews 1:3
5. God the Holy Spirit - We believe in the Holy Spirit who came forth from the Father and the Son to convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment, and to
regenerate, sanctify, and empower all who believe in Jesus Christ. We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells every believer in Christ, and that He is an abiding helper, teacher and guide. Matthew 28:19; John 14:16-17, 26; John 16:13-15; Romans 8:13, 26
6. Regeneration - We believe that all men are sinners by nature and by choice and are therefore under condemnation. We believe that those who repent of
their sins and trust in Jesus Christ as Savior are regenerated by the Holy Spirit. John 1:12-13; John 3:3-8; Acts 17:30; Ephesians 2:6-9
7. The Church – We believe in the universal church, a living spiritual body of which Christ is the head and all regenerated persons are members. We believe in the local church, consisting of a company of believers in Jesus Christ, baptized on a credible profession of faith, and associated for worship, work and fellowship. We believe that God has laid upon the members of the local church the primary task of giving the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a lost world and the building up of the body by disciplining one another. I Corinthians 1:2; I Corinthians 12:12-31; Ephesians 5:22-25; I Timothy 3:14-15
8. Christian Conduct - We believe that a Christian should live for the glory of God and the well being of others; that their conduct should be blameless before the world; that they should be faithful stewards of their possessions; and that they should seek to realize for themselves and others the full stature of maturity in Christ. Deuteronomy 5; Matthew 25:35-46; I Corinthians 8:8-13; I Corinthians 10:31
9. The Ordinances - We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ has committed two ordinances to the local church: baptism and the Lord’s Supper. We believe that Christian baptism is the immersion of the believer in water into the name of the triune God. We believe that the Lord's Supper was instituted by Christ for
commemoration of His death. We believe that these two ordinances should be observed and administered until the return of the Lord Jesus Christ. Matthew 26:26-29; Matthew 28:18-20; Romans 6:3-4; I Corinthians 11:22-26
10. Religious Liberty - We believe that every human being has direct relations with God, and is responsible to God alone in all matters of faith; that each church is independent and must be free from interference by ecclesiastical or political authority; that therefore Church and State must be kept separate as having different functions, each fulfilling its duties free of dictation or patronage of the other. Matthew 22:15-22; Acts 4:18-20; Romans 13:1-7
11. Church Cooperation – We believe the local churches can best promote the cause of Jesus Christ by cooperating with one another in a denominational organization. Such an organization, whether it is the Conference or a district conference, exists and functions by the will of the churches. Cooperation in a conference is voluntary and may be terminated at any time. Churches may likewise cooperate with interdenominational fellowships on a voluntary independent basis. I Corinthians 16:1: Ephesians 4:3-5
12. The Last Things - We believe in a personal and visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ to earth and the establishment of His kingdom. We believe in the
resurrection of the body, the final judgment, the eternal felicity of the righteous and the endless suffering of the wicked. Matthew 24; John 14:3; Acts 1:11; I Corinthians 15; I Thessalonians 4:13-18; II Peter 3
13. Beliefs on Marriage/Homosexual Behavior/Same Sex Unions - We believe that Christian marriage is a sacred institution ordained of God for the happiness of mankind and the propagation of the race. It is a spiritual and a physical union into which one man and one woman may enter for the glory of God and, according to the scriptural ideal, is to be broken only upon death. We believe as part of the created order, marriage is not open to reinterpretation. The scriptural and historic definition of marriage as a heterosexual monogamy- a union of one man and one woman- has been inviolable over the centuries and is recognized worldwide. It is not an arbitrary relationship created by the state, but rather reflects realities as fundamental as human nature and human anatomy.
We believe that heterosexuality is God’s revealed will for mankind and that a chaste and faithful expression of this orientation (whether in singleness or marriage) is the ideal to which God calls all people. We believe that a homosexual orientation is a result of the fall of humanity into a sinful condition and that pervades every person. We believe there is hope for the person with a homosexual orientation and that Jesus Christ offers a healing alternative in which the power of sin is broken and the person is freed to know and experience his or her true identity in Christ and in the fellowship of his Church. We believe that this freedom is attained through a process which includes recognizing homosexual behavior as sin, renouncing the practice of homosexual behavior, rediscovering healthy, non-erotic friendships with people of the same sex, embracing a moral sexual lifestyle, and in the age to come, rising from the dead with a new body free from every sinful impulse.
We believe recognition of ‘gay marriage’ or ‘same sex marriage/unions’ is public endorsement of homosexual behavior. We believe rather than promoting the common good, that recognition of ‘gay marriage’ or ‘same sex marriage/unions’ promotes emotionally and physically unhealthy behavior. We believe counterfeiting marriage devalues the family and the unique role of men and women in their children’s lives. Overwhelming evidence confirms that children are best served when they live in intact families with both a mother and a father, and no child should willfully be deprived of these benefits as a matter of public policy.
(Genesis 1:26-28; Genesis 2: 18-25; Genesis 3; Matthew 19: 4-6; Mark 10:4-9; Ephesians 5:25-33; Romans 7:2; I Corinthians 7:2-3, 10-26; I Timothy 3:2, 12; Genesis 19:1-11; Genesis 3: 14-15; Romans 3:23, 6:23; Leviticus 18: 21-23, 20:13; Judges 19:22-30;Romans 1:18-32;I Corinthians 6:8-11; I Timothy 1:9-10; II Peter 2: 6-10; Jude 7; The Bible also condemns all types of fornication which would therefore include homosexuality (Matthew 15:19; Mark 7:21; John 8:41; Acts15: 20, 20; Galatians 5:19-21; I Thessalonians 4:3; Hebrews 13:4)
Converge World Wide Affirmation of Faith